How Can Billings, MT Homeowners Improve Indoor Air Quality?
You have been stuck in the house all winter, and your family might be getting a little stir crazy. Between looking for fun and exciting outdoor activities near Billings, you should start thinking about cleaning your home to kill any bacteria and germs.
You and your family deserve to breathe the best air in your home, and there are many things indoors that pollute the air and creates poor air quality. Even the most rugged Billings resident need to clean their house and improve their Indoor Air Quality to enjoy some basic benefits like:
- Eliminate Odors: Cleaning your home can improve the air quality of your home, and this eliminates unwanted odors. A quality air filtration system can reduce odors in your home throughout the year, and Spring Cleaning is a great time to tackle lingering odors left behind from the winter months.
- Sleep Better: Cleaner air means that you are less likely to get sick or cough throughout the night.
- Lower Energy Bills: Have you noticed that your energy bills have been going up? This could be the result of clogged ducts. Along with changing the filters around your home, you should also get your air ducts cleaned each year by a professional.
- Breathe Easier: It goes without saying that removing airborne particles is good for your health because your home’s air will be easier to breathe. Indoor pollutants can build up on surfaces, so cleaning your home is a great way to help your family and friends breathe easier throughout the year.
- Reduce Allergens: Billings can have some of the worst allergens, and these pollutants can flare up your allergies. Having clean indoor air gives your body a fighting chance again the constant barrage of pollutants found in Billings, MT air throughout the Spring.
Not only does a deep cleaning help make your home look like new, but it’s also an ideal time to clean out all the grime and gunk that gathers in your home throughout the Winter season. Billings has some of the harshest winter weather, and it’s essential to clean your entire house to keep your family safe and home looking great.
Our Indoor Air Quality testing services can help you understand what type of issues your home’s air quality is facing and we can help you test your IAQ. But for now let’s take a look at how you can improve your home’s indoor air quality with simple testing and cleaning today!
1. Do A Deep Cleaning
When Billings homeowners search for tips on how to clean air in their homes; this is one tip that they often skip. However, cleaning everything to remove dust helps significantly. You can clean your home with some simple ideas like:
- Clean the tops of doors and windowsills.
- Move the furniture, sweep, dust, and vacuum.
- Clean out closets, cabinets, drawers, and shelves since dust settles, start in high places.
Clean your home thoroughly at least once per year. It is even better to do a deep cleaning twice per year. At least once weekly, dust, and vacuum to keep up with regular use around your home.
2. Get a Professional Indoor Air Quality Test
Environmental air quality tests that our IAQ technicians use have been tested and meet the rigorous standards of the Environmental Protection Agency.
Our Indoor Air Quality tests include necessary tests for carbon dioxide, volatile organic compounds, and formaldehyde. Some tests look for allergens, mold, and other particulates. They may also look for radon or other gases that may be found in homes.
These tests are only available from professionals who are qualified to perform them. Any test kits that you can buy on store shelves are limited and may be inaccurate. If a professional finds one or more indoor air quality problems, the individual can tell you how to clean indoor air.
3. Use the Right Cleaning Equipment
One way to improve home air quality is to use the right vacuum. Make sure that it has a HEPA filter. This means that you should buy a newer vacuum if you have an old one. To qualify as HEPA, a screen must retain allergens that are 240 times smaller than a human hair at a rate of 99.7%.
When homeowners search for cleaning the air in their Billings home, they often find more information about vacuuming than steam cleaning. Although vacuuming is important for removing some dust and allergens, steam cleaning removes even more and helps kill bacteria.
For example, if a carpet gets wet, it takes a long time to dry completely, and bacteria or mold can start to form. A vapor steam cleaner disinfects with heat, and a high-quality steam cleaner can kill up to 99% of bacteria. In this way, using steam cleaning for carpet and upholstery helps with cleaning the air in the home.
4. Clean Your Home Air Ducts
When cleaning the air at home, do not neglect air duct cleaning. Airborne allergens get trapped in ducts and can circulate through your HVAC system.
In addition to this, mold and mildew can start growing and spreading if there is moisture. When those spores circulate, they can worsen some existing health issues and make allergy sufferers feel miserable. Also, if you have or had a rodent infestation, there may be rodent urine or droppings in the ducts.
A good cleaning will remove debris and may improve home air quality. Since professionals have the right skills and equipment to do this, only work with an HVAC professional.
5. Change Your HVAC Filter
This is usually one of the first suggestions when you search for how to clean indoor air. Your filter traps dust, allergens, and other particles. Once your HVAC filter gets dirty, it can become clogged and release more pollutants into your indoor air.
An easy way to improve home air quality is to change your filter every 30 to 60 days. You may need to change the filters based on whether there are pets, allergies, or other factors.
How to Clean Air in Home in Billings, MT
There are plenty of other solutions for cleaning the air in the home that you can use to supplement these five tips. For example, you can add plants. They naturally help clean the air by absorbing carbon dioxide and creating oxygen.
When you have a professional clean your ducts or perform an IAQ test, you can also ask about a good air purification system or a ventilation inspection. These can both help with cleaning the air in the home. The best place to start is to call a local professional for an IAQ evaluation.